About the Council
How the council works
There are 60 councillors for 20 wards. Three councillors represent each ward with one seat (one third of the council) elected each year.
There are no council elections in 2021.
We have an elected Mayor and Cabinet structure:
Norma Redfearn CBE
Norma Redfearn was re-elected as Mayor of North Tyneside for the second time in May 2017.
The role of the Elected Mayor is to :
- be the Authority’s principal public spokesperson
- give overall political direction to the Authority
- appoint the Cabinet and Deputy Mayor
- decide on the scheme of delegation for Cabinet functions
- chair meetings of the Cabinet
- represent the Authority on such external executive bodies as the Elected Mayor decides
You can find out more about the Elected Mayor here.
You can view members of the Cabinet and their areas of responsibility here.